This cemetery with interments dating back to the 1850s, became a community graveyard for the Sycamore Springs and Mahomet rural communities. In 1909 J.W. Williams and J.W. & Nellie Greer deeded the cemetery property to the community of Mahomet. Among the hundreds of people buried here are many of the area's pioneer settlers and their descendants and veterans of wars ranging from the Mexican War (1846-48) to the Vietnam War. Mahomet Cemetery remains active and is maintained by an association of descendents of people buried here.